Ok, soft sculpture, amigurumi, crochet, whatever we’re calling it here. This is what I’ve been up to for the past week or so. I found one (only one) of my crochet hooks, and Devin’s mom had given me some yarn she wasn’t going to use several months ago.
So, I made these guys:
In the back above the monster is a flower that I attached to a hair comb, I didn’t use a pattern for it, but rather took bits from several patterns.
The black and grey monster is from craftbits and the pattern (which I modified slightly as I was making him) can be found here.
The little bunny at the bottom left was made with this pattern from makezine. I didn’t put the extra effort into the polish, and details, so theirs are cuter, but I like this little guy.
To the right of the bunny is something I made while looking at amigurumi patterns and tried to make something without a pattern. He has little feet and a tail, and is sitting next to the ball that was his predecessor.
With my mind on Spring’s approach, the bunny was a given, but so was the daffodil. I didn’t have any yellow thread, but I did have yellow grocery store bags. I didn’t like the way it looked when it was just strips of plastic, but I do have a drop spindle, so I spun up a few bags and then plied them. That little daffodil took three bags worth of two-ply “plarn” to make. Once again, I haven’t kept track of the pattern used for that daffodil. I’ve decided I don’t like working with plastic for crocheting. It’s a lot of work to get a plarn that I like the look of, and the plastic (spun or not) grabs the hook interrupting the rhythm of the work. I might go back to plarn for something (like soles for summer sandals perhaps?) but it’s not going to change how I crochet.
Next is a spiral rose. I followed a pattern, but I honestly couldn’t tell you which one.
Finally, a little flower fairy girl. When you flip her skirt one way she’s a girl with a skirt, the other way, she’s a flower with a stem! I used to see these at the church craft shows when I was a kid and I’d flip them back and forth, amazed that it was both a doll and a flower. So, when I saw this pattern, I had to make one. She is made of yarn scraps of three different yarns, and I didn’t have quite enough green to do the stem as the pattern said, so I improvised.
Something that might change how I crochet is these instructions over at The Cashmere Connoisseur for taking apart a sweater for yarn! I had cut the sleeves and sewed the ends of an old sweater for fingerless gloves last year, and I still have the sweater hanging out. I’ve begun to disassemble it, and the yarn is in good enough shape, although it’s lost most of it’s twist. So far I’ve made a bit of a mess of it, but once I actually payed attention to the instructions, it’s moving along better now.